I’m proud to be an independent retailer, supporting my local community.
My IGA store strives to deliver a shopping experience that my local community value, which is to shop locally and conveniently with great customer service, whilst supporting local suppliers and brands, offering far more benefits than just competitive prices.
Types of personal information collected
The types of personal information that we collect, and hold will vary depending on your dealings with us. This information may include any or all of the following:
- name, address(es), telephone number(s) and other contact details;
- electronic address(es);
- transaction details relating to your use or purchase of our products, services or benefits;
- if you are a member of a loyalty program in which we participate:
- your membership details (e.g. member number) for that loyalty program; and
- details relating to your use or acquisition of products, services or benefits from organizations that operate, administer or provide products and/or services in connection with that loyalty program;
- payment information (such as credit card or bank details);
- driver’s license details, employer name, position, date of birth or gender
- any other personal information which you provide to us.
We will not collect sensitive information from you or any third party.
You do not have to provide us with any personal information. However, if you do not do so, we may not be able to provide you with products, services or benefits you have requested.
How we collect personal information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you, such as:
- when you submit information through our website;
- in person or on a form that you provide to us;
- in the course of us providing you with a requested product, service or benefit; and when you have other dealings with us.
We may collect personal information about you indirectly, for example through:
- transactions that you enter into in store;
- providers who support transactions that you make in store, including credit card providers and point of sale systems providers;
- organizations that operate, administer or provide products and/or services in connection with any loyalty program in which you and we participate;
- our related bodies corporate;
- our business partners; and
- third parties who supply services to us, e.g. point-of-sale terminal vendors who report transaction data to us.
Consequences if you do not provide personal information
If you do not provide your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with products, services or benefits you have requested. [For example, if you do not provide us with personal information requested in connection with your registration for a loyalty program, we and organizations operating and administering that program may not be able to provide you with program benefits and/or administer your membership.
Why we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to establish and maintain your relationship with us;
- to provide the products, services or benefits you have requested from us;
- if you are a member of a loyalty program in which we participate, to enable:
- you to participate in the program, and enjoy program benefits;
- us to better understand and gain insights into store and campaign performance, shopper trends and to plan future developments, member offers and campaigns; and
- organizations that operate or administer that loyalty program to perform their functions in relation to that program, including to undertake analysis on retailer performance and trends, and to provide aggregated, anonymous statistics on these matters to other program participants;
- to answer any inquiry you make; and
- to otherwise enable us to perform our business activities and functions.
We may disclose your personal information to organisations that participate in, operate or administer any loyalty program in which you and we participate. We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties who work with us in our business to provide, promote or improve the products or services you have requested or are interested in, such as:
- couriers and delivery contractors; and
- consultants and professional advisers.
We may also use and disclose your personal information to send direct marketing to you, including electronic direct marketing, from:
- our related bodies corporate and Metcash Trading Limited;
- the operator or administrator of a loyalty program in which you and we participate; and
- third parties who provide services to us, our related bodies corporate, Metcash Trading Limited or the operator or administrator of a loyalty program in which you and we participate.
The direct marketing may relate to:
- your membership of, and benefits associated with, loyalty programs in which you and we participate;
- our products and services;
- the products and services of other parties; and
- new developments we believe may be of interest to you.
You may opt-out of receiving this direct marketing through the unsubscribe function that will be made available to you with each direct marketing communication. You should be aware that if you opt out, you may not be able to receive benefits you would otherwise receive e.g. if you opt out of loyalty program emails, you may not be able to receive all the benefits of participating in that loyalty program.
How we store and protect personal information
We store personal information in a combination of computer storage facilities, paper-based files and other records. In so doing, we take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and unauthorized access, modification or disclosure.
Additionally, we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it.
Do we send personal information overseas?
How you can request to access or correct your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, hold, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. If your personal details change, such as your address or phone number, or you realise details we hold about you are incorrect:
- you can contact us to let us know using the details provided under the heading “How to contact us or make a complaint” below.
At your request, we will provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you, unless an exception under the Privacy Act 1988 applies. We may charge a reasonable fee for retrieving this information, in which case we will inform you of the fee and obtain your agreement to that fee before providing the information.
We will promptly acknowledge and investigate any complaint about the way we manage personal information.
Information is also generated whenever a page is accessed on our website that records information such as the time, date and specific page. We collect such information for statistical and maintenance purposes that enables us to continually evaluate our website performance.
How to contact us or make a complaint
We will take reasonable steps to remedy any issues resulting from our failure to comply with our privacy obligations. If our response to your complaint does not address your concerns to your satisfaction, you may have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, whose website is located at www.oaic.gov.au.
Last updated: April 2019