Spice things up with a delicious roast chicken that’s sure to be a crowd favourite.
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 kg whole chicken
1/3 cup (80ml) apricot preserves
- Mix together the cumin and cinnamon and add 1½ teaspoons sea salt.
- Rub the mix all over the chicken.
- Let sit for at least one hour (even overnight in the refrigerator).
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the chicken in a roasting pan, breast-side up and loosely cover with foil.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the apricot jam in a small saucepan until warm and runny.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and baste well with the apricot jam.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C.
- Return the chicken to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes, basting the chicken again halfway through, until the glaze is bubbling and ‘golden’.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.