Recreate your ordinary BBQ Chicken to a taste sensation with this classic & tasty combination.
½ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1.5kg whole chicken
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a board so the back is facing up and the drumsticks are pointing towards you.
- Using sharp kitchen scissors or chicken shears, cut closely along each side of the backbone. Remove and discard the backbone.
- Turn the chicken, breast-side up, and press down firmly on the breastbone to flatten the chicken.
- Make a small cut under each wing, to help flatten the chicken more.
- In a large baking dish, whisk together the oil, garlic and thyme.
- Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat the BBQ to medium.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides with sea salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down and slowly grill until the fat renders and the skin becomes golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken, continue grilling until just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the grill, loosely tent with foil and rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve sprinkled with tendrils of thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper.