The best glazes result in golden stickiness, and this does just that.
8kg IGA whole leg ham, on the bone
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup honey
½ tsp ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Either line a large deep baking pan with aluminium foil or use a disposable foil baking dish and set aside.
- Place an oven shelf in the lowest position and remove all other shelves.
- Next, carefully remove the rind from the ham (see below tip).
- Wrap the rind in a damp tea towel and store in the fridge, then use it to cover leftover ham (the rind will stop the ham from drying out.)
- Use a small sharp knife to score the fat, a diamond pattern is popular, but for a change try scoring around the ham in spiral-formation, about 5mm deep.
- Place the ham in the baking pan.
- Cover the whole thing with aluminium foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven.
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar, honey and ground cloves and over a medium heat, gently cook, stirring, until well combined and runny.
- Pour the glaze directly over the ham, completely covering it.
- Place it back in the oven, uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, baste again before carving.
- Reduce pan juices for a deliciously sweet and salty drizzle.