Last night’s dinner makes for a great dinner party appetizer. Crispy, crunchy outside with a cheesy, oozy inside and no utensils required.
leftover macaroni and cheese, balled
vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup flour
1 cup panko crumbs
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 red chilli, chopped
400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour with smoked paprika salt and pepper. In a second bowl, whisk the eggs. In a third bowl, add breadcrumbs.
- Dip balled macaroni into flour mixture (shaking off excess), followed by egg and finally in the panko crumbs. Set aside on a tray.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add enough vegetable oil to coat the base. When the oil is hot, fry the macaroni balls in batches until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate or rack.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat a saucepan over low heat and saute the garlic in olive oil. To prevent it from browning and cooking too quickly add 2 tablespoons of water. When the water has evaporated, add the diced tomatoes and chilli. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Season to taste and take off heat to cool.