Wow the crowd with this perfect combination of two Aussie classics: steak on a barbie—and Vegemite!
120g good quality butter, softened
2 tablespoons Vegemite
11/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- In a bowl, place the butter, Vegemite and thyme. Season with sea salt and cracked pepper, and mix to combine, until nice and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture onto a piece of glad wrap, roll tightly and fashion into a log.
- Twist both ends and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat a BBQ to medium-high.
- Brush both sides of the steak with a little olive oil or melted butter to prevent it from sticking to the BBQ.
- BBQ the steaks until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare, 5 to 7 minutes for medium or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well or until done to your liking.
- 10-seconds from removing, add a few slices of the slightly hardened butter to the top of each steak. Transfer the steaks to a plate and rest under foil for 5 minutes, letting the yummy butter melt into the steak.