Orange and ginger are the perfect pair in this moist cake drizzled with a fragrant sweet turmeric glaze. Delicious!
3 tbsp orange zest
¼ cup orange juice
¾ cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
220g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 cups powdered sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 180°C. Spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine orange zest, juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat butter and sugar on medium-high for 4-6 minutes until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and yolk then add to butter mixture. Mix on medium for 30 seconds, scrape down sides of bowl and mix for an additional 30 seconds.
- On low speed add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk-orange mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared Bundt pan and spread into an even layer. Bake until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer to a wire rack for 20 minutes. Reverse pan on a wire rack and remove cake. Allow cake to completely cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice, milk, turmeric and powdered sugar. Once cake is cool, drizzle glaze over cake and serve.